Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Implicit Association Test Plus the Political Compass Test

       The implicit association bias (IAT) test is designed to find your bias toward each issue, whereas the political compass specify on finding your general ideology.
       The implicit bias illustrates several pictures on the screen, then matches the picture with the words by pressing E and I. The political compass evaluates your bias by answering 6 pages of questionnaire in several areas such as politic, economic, society and so on.
      I took the African American-American in IAT.  The test suggested me that I slightly prefer African American to American. For my political compass result indicated that I am slightly Liberian left.
        I don’t think I either prefer African American to America or American to African American. The reason I got the result said I slightly prefer African American because I have a good rapport with African American. I went to America and met some African American people; I made some friends with them and they were nice to me, they even treated me nicer than a few American did to me. Another reason is I forced myself to turn the result into this way, because I don’t want to get same result as last time. Actually, I took this test once before Troy told us to do and I got totally different result from this time. At that time, the result told me that I moderately prefer American to African American. I suddenly realized that the result I got it was true because I was told all about negative behaviors of African American which made me had bad prospective toward Black. But after I met several Blacks and made friends with them; it made me changed my prospective. In the consequence, I agreed with the statement that said our biases can be changed over time if we encounter new situations.
           What does Liberian left mean in this term? As soon as I saw the result I was unsure what does it mean to me, I couldn’t decide whether it is true or false. After that, Troy explained all the four typical political ideologies which he did well on that. I gradually learned about Liberian left and compared to the rests. Finally, I found the result is right that I am Liberian left. I like the idea of small government but distribute some jobs to private section such as infrastructure, health care, education, etc. Rising taxation is a better way to develop the country and people also get benefit from what they’ve paid.
         As you may notice my IAT and political compass are supportive each other. They both indicate that I am liberal. My IAT shows that I am willing to change my bias when encounter a new situation instead of preserving my old bias toward African American. That means in term of economic I am willing to take risk in order to get more profit.

If you would like to take a test on IAT here is a link https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html
And this is a link to political compass https://www.politicalcompass.org/test






No comments:

Post a Comment